Inspiring videos from our action research and outreach activities

Circular Economy: Turning waste challenge into a resource opportunity

Interested to know why our world is just 9% circular today? What are some global innovative examples that make a difference in waste reduction and better resource management? Can science fiction give us some hope for circular economy practices in action? Prof. Dr. Hiroshan Hettiarachchi (formerly Professor and Head of Unit – Waste Management at UNU-FLORES) gives the answers to all these questions and more!

Sustainopreneurship... in Ghana

Earlier this month, the 2020 Circularity Gap Report was published in Davos, showing that currently, only 8.6% of the world is circular. This means that of all the minerals, fossil fuels, metals and biomass that are extracted from each year, only 8.6% is recycled back.  Trashy Bags, a social enterprise based in Accra, Ghana, is working towards increasing this percentage. How? Through Sustainopreneurship of course! If you want to know exactly how a trash-based sustainopreneurship can even exist - watch this short clip taken during our visit to their factory and showroom! Stay tuned for the interview with Trashy Bags and see how Elvis and his team started this initiative to give value to waste, and sustain their business model!

Education for Sustainable Development

Alejandro Álvarez-Vanegas, a doctoral student at UNU-MERIT and member of SITE4Society, is explaining us how key sustainable development issues could be included into teaching and learning through Education for Sustainable Development.

Nudging for the SDGs

Globelics Conference, October 2018, Accra, Ghana Prof. Dilip Soman, Professor at the University of Toronto and director of the Behavioural Economics in Action at Rotman (BEAR) research centre, explains how the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) can only be achieved by changing behaviours of several stakeholders.

A day with Trashy Bags

May 2018, Accra, Ghana It is estimated that in Ghana, waste produced from plastic packaging amounts to 270 tonnes per day; most of it non-biodegradable. It is estimated that only 2% of plastic waste is recycled! But what happens to the remaining 98%? And how can we respond to this waste crisis? Trashy Bags is a social enterprise based in Accra, Ghana that makes recycled eco-friendly bags and gifts from plastic trash. Trashy Bags is leading the way in sustainable development in Africa in the area of plastic recycling and we have collected and recycled approximately 20 million plastic sachets since we started in 2007. Every month nearly 200,000 plastic sachets are being collected and brought to Trashy Bags by a network of people who are obtaining an income from their efforts.